Welcome to the forums!

Our encouraging community is a dedicated resource for innovators everywhere.

Learn about industry trends, common questions,
and stay informed of the latest happenings at Edison Nation.

Custom printed spring wire frame Popup

dizor's Avatar

I am trying to figure out the name of the technology where car sunshades and popup tents use. I am want to manufacture a 60" diameter disk with a print on one side for an industry specific application. I don't even know where to start or what its even called.

Any help would be appreciated. 

posted    Report this topic
keeztan's Avatar

If you are looking to have it printed on one side like for example the rear window of a truck, where it looks solid from one side but you can see through the other.....any large format inkjet or laser printer will work. Your local sign company or custom graphic shop can do that.

posted    Report this post
gadgetmanken's Avatargold

I think its called flat spring wire.  Basically heat treated flat wire that wants to remain straight.  I know that you can’t bend it say more than 30° to retain a bend or hook type end. It will snap. Take a torch to it to get it red hot before you bend it more than 30° in a short distance. You can bend it into a circle and fold it over, like the laundry baskets, but the thicker and wider it is the less it will bend. I think you can get it from steel wire  distributors. I get mine used in the form of laundry baskets, pop up tent playhouses from yard sales. 

posted    Report this post
gadgetmanken's Avatargold

Now if you want wire that is going to change shape with differences in heat or cold or with electricity you will want Nitenol or memory wire.

posted    Report this post