Welcome to the forums!

Our encouraging community is a dedicated resource for innovators everywhere.

Learn about industry trends, common questions,
and stay informed of the latest happenings at Edison Nation.

90+ Videos @ CES 2016 - Consumer Electronics Show

awildx's Avatargold

Some great material.  Quick videos of all the new drones, virtual reality, augmented reality, hover boards, smart stuff, some weird stuff too...it's all there.  Playlist provided by The Verge  

https://youtu.be/OE3GLUEPoYQ?list=PL39u5ZEfYDEMqgq...

Kenneth Rainbolt
James Chapman
Eric Huber
posted    Report this topic

Adam, I really enjoyed that link, Thank you.

posted    Report this post

I just received an email from the company that supplies my Solar Panels. In 2016 the efficiency on the Bay Glider's solar panel jumps from 8% to 22% with an improved "Shade Resistance" (whatever that means). The improvement icreases the output of the solar panel from 70 watts to 110 watts. This means on a sunny day the user of the Bay Glider will be able to enjoy 9.16 lbs of thrust or 3-5 miles per hour just on solar power taking no charge from the battery... That is incredible and We are Extremely Excited!

What we are most excited about is this shifts the Bay Glider from a "Solar Charged" device to a truly "Solar Powered" Device. Huge Distinction!

marcus's Avataree_badge

That's great news Chappy! Congratulations! Can you share some info about the supplier and their products?

James Chapman
williamj's Avatargold

Great news James !!! Hoping for nothing but total success for you !

James Chapman

@Adam- Thanks for the link- Some great items in there, some others...not so much!

@Chappy- When they refer to 'Shade Resistance' it could be construed as the ability of the panels to operate when a portion, or whole panel is no longer in direct sun.

For instance- I have a 5.5kw 30 ft solar grid at my home and it too suffers 'shading' issues from time to time. If a portion of a panel, or a whole panel is covered by snow, or 'shaded' it drags down the performance of ALL of the interconnected panels. BTW- 22% efficiency for a photo voltaic panel is not too shabby...it's actually pretty good!

Sounds like you just got a nice bump in performance for your product.  ;)

James Chapman

Thanks guys... 

Mark, I know it is easily figured out but I sort of feel like that is like a magician giving up the method to a trick... I will think about it. There are tons of solar panel companies all over the web. This company hasn't made it a public announcement yet. I will wait for them to announce it and then it will be public. I am going to keep that under wraps for now if you don't mind, sorry. Rule 1: Never give up your supplier! ;-)

Ralph, 

Thanks... It was a great surprise! It scared me for a second because the design of the panels changed in that the junction box shifted from center to off-center and the product was designed for it to be center. I thought we were going to have to redesign it... this is pretty expensive. Turns out with the combination of the panel being 2 lbs lighter and a couple other adjustments we will be able to lighten the product by a minimum of 24 lbs. I can't wait to see the new panels!

kimmyk's Avatargold

Great news, Chappy! How much will it weigh now that the 24 lbs has been shaved off?

It's been fun watching you go through the process.  Thanks for letting us experience it with you!

Roger,

I don't think I want to. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hey guys!

Just a reminder to keep the forum topics on topic. James, you are always welcome to start new threads on your progress. For those continuing to discuss CES from Adam's original post, please feel free to do so here.

Thanks all!

Adding to consumer electronics conversation and Solar Power is DEFINITELY a contributing factor in this space. Just adding relative content to the topic... I LOVE electronics! AND I don't want the Bay Glider Easily researchable. Hijacking threads is a little harsh terminology, right Roger? Almost feels like another attack.

Good job Roger! Thanks for putting us back on topic... I agree with you!

Can you believe Razor and Swagway are battling for kingship in the Hover Board arena at CES 2016? I was going to buy one for my daughter for Christmas but the possibility of her being set ablaze deterred that decision... So Razor's new slogan is "... Ours doesn't Explode"... HAHAHA

This seems like one of those products, since it was banned like Jarts, that would just go away... ehh not so much. These companies are bound and determined to get their money back out of this incendiary! 

That rollable T.V. Screen is interesting but it seems to give up a lot on picture quality.

I have attended the CES show a number of times. What always amazed me was the number of introductions of new and revolutionary products from different companies that were all basically the same idea. You have to wonder about industrial espionage and how safe an idea really is.

Adam W.